Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Just Like Art


When asked to describe my "artistic approach" I replied as follows: "My approach?...artistically?..."well...I just like art!" I feel my response was not exactly what they were looking for- but then again perhaps it was. Assuming the asker of said question was looking for an honest-non-pretentious answer. The answer I gave has two meanings (It's two thangs in one). 1. I do JUST LIKE IT. and B. What I do might not really be viewed as "art" but I wish for what I create to be something just like art. I have always been inclined towards things that are "crafty" or "artsy" or "unordinary" (also strange or curious or weird-per older siblings) For as long as I can remember I have been coloring or drawing, I spent 5 years as a full time cake decorator in the most amazing bakery in town and although there were long tiresome days-I enjoyed creating for a living-very much. I recently began painting. I like it. So...with no pretenses in regards to training or skill level it is what it is. I asked a humanities professor once how she defines art and I like what she had to say...It's been some years ago now so I will paraphrase her words. She said she feels like art is the extra stuff in life, the icing on the cake. It is the things we traditionally view as art of course such as paintings and sculptures and music, but she believes art can be found in the way we socialize and experience life together-friendships and loves and the journey of our lives can be artful and I hope yours always is!

No comments:

Post a Comment