Friday, January 29, 2010

food for art



Not every work of art will appear under a glass case in a museum, nor will it be meticulously positioned on exhibit in some rare “too cool for the room” gallery down town. It will never be criticized or adored by critics, no. Sometimes a work of art will be presented to the audience for whom it was created and before it has time to cool, the masterpiece will be devoured. Yes I am talking about the art of good food. If food is art, tonight’s meal was worthy of its own show.


I have included some pictures however; I do not feel they do the meal justice. I read a t-shirt one time that said “really good art will not match your sofa” The ultra artsy woman wearing this shirt struck up a conversation with me and we had a nice chat. I hesitated before I asked but kind of fell into the trap and asked about the shirt anyway-(you know how you see someone just begging to be noticed and OF COURSE you notice them but there is just something in you that says almost in slow motion …DOOOONNNNNT DOO IIITTT….Dooonnnn’t aaasssskkkk quueeesstiiioonnnsss….) well I hear that voice a lot and I normally listen to it, but there was something about this chick-I liked her, I liked the concept of her shirt and to be honest I liked that even though she was wearing “paint” clothes (I could break here for just a moment and vent a little about the pretentiousness I find in those who wear their “paint clothes” out-I mean seriously..We get it, you paint. You are an artist. You are deep and talented and way cooler than those of us who insist on wearing clean clothes in public.) Ech hmm…as I was saying chick was rocken the “I just took a break from my studio to grab a soy skim whatever “vibe and we began to chat. She explained her t-shirt and we had a nice exchange. I don’t know her name, and I have never seen her again. I did walk away from the encounter with a shared understanding and agreement with her t-shirt. “Good art makes you feel something.” By that standard alone. Tonight’s dinner was in fact. Good Art.

I have always associated food with an expression of love. When I am sitting at a table with friends and we are sharing grilled asparagus wrapped in thick sliced bacon, and pork tenderloin stuffed with granny smith apples and onions that were sautéed in a Dijon mustard sauce, slow roasted in garlic and rosemary. When I eat food like that- I feel something…I have lots of feelings regarding a meal like this. And love is at the top of the list.

Do I think food is art? Maybe not all food-but the food I had tonight was prepared with the love and the talent and passion of a Rembrandt. Yea baby, this food had the master’s touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment