Saturday, March 30, 2013

"Cause and Effect"

Goldberg Device-step one: Blue bird bends over to eat the red m&ms, the string attached to her leg is attached to a large pale. The bird will eventually pull on the string hard enough to dump the contents of the pale. This will cause step two.
Answer to a question no one asked: I have a thing for Rube Goldberg machines. I realize that's a bit more scientific than a typical piece of AK trivia but it's true. I love the concept of theory displayed by mechanics. Before I jump too deep off into the nerd pool, let me say you are all aware of the coolness that is a Goldberg machine. The kid's gameMousetrap? Or, Oh! I KNOW!  What about the breakfast scene from that classic work of cinematography, Pee Wee's Big Adventure? An over complicated system of action and reactions leads to the execution of a simple task? SIGN ME UP!  A series of not so necessary but kinda cool and totally quirky carefully aligned strategically timed processes just for the sake of cracking an egg? What's not to love about that??? Its beautiful-and genius! It makes you smile, and it makes you think. The task it accomplishes, while minor to some, has major impact! Each step in the system leads to the highly anticipated positive outcome. I propose Goldberg machines are the perfect blend of silly and smart-of art and science!

Given the artistic freedom to do so, I draw similarities between the Goldberg device and the way we exist on the planet together. In creating today's painting (which is just 1 in a series of 4 by the way) I couldn't help but think about how one fun and quirky interaction with a person led to more fun and then  more interaction and that led to a new experience and then another and so on. Beautiful!



SB,
Today I reflect upon the art in theory of cause and effect. I indulge the quirky in me and encourage the silly in you. May your life be filled with positive outcomes! Thanks thanks thanks for being part of my project!



No comments:

Post a Comment