Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 16 "The Ring Leader"



 Normally when I hear someone say "it was a circus!" what they mean is not- "Oh my goodness it was SOOO much fun! There were clowns billowing from a tiny polka dot car, there was familiar music being played on a pipe organ. There was a huge crowd of people all smiling and cheering for one act after the other- and OHHH the acts! let me just tell you! It truly was THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH! (and they change their voice to the announcer guy voice too when they say it) I saw a sword swallower, a fire jumper, trapeze artists twirling thru the air! AND there was a high-wire act! A bunch of stilt walkers, we had the chance to ride a real live elephant! IT WAS AH.MAY.ZING! and I can not wait till it comes again!!!" No-usually the circus analogy is reserved for events of complete chaos-a really hectic day at work or a day the weather forecaster predicted 1/4 inch of snow and everyone in the region has converged upon the grocery stores on a quest to attain the life sustaining bread and milk. I use the phrase to describe any situation where the people "in charge" are either not prepared or not equipped to handle the situation. OR...in situations where small children have ingested copious amounts of junk food and sugar and are running amuck with no specific task or project. I digress..people say "It was like a circus" and what they mean is "I am so glad to be finished with that, or that did not go as planned."


But really, when you think about it- a REAL circus-the super fun kind you loved as a kid, is not chaotic at all. It can't be. So many people and animals coming and going-all on different time schedules and with different tasks and goals? No, a real circus has to be carefully orchestrated, tons of work has to go into preparing for the next show and then...all members of the circus have to directed by The Ring Leader.

Amidst the potential for complete chaos (I mean talk about high risk situations...have you ever seen an episode of "When Animals Attack"? and they show that crazy clip of a run-a-way-elephant tearing thru the crowds?) *piece of advise, and it's just me here-but I would avoid all crowded tents filled with semi tamed animals in India.* The Ring Leader runs the show. All acts in order, in perfect timing, as they should be so the audience gets the most out of their experience.

Two things. You may already know the first one-or could assume it if you read any previous blogs I have written. 1. I equate children's Sunday School to a circus. And I don't mean the fun kind I wanna go back to again and again. I mean I equate it to the chaos. KAAAYYY----OSSSS! (I personally feel less than equipped to handle THAT situation.) 2. I equate Miss Arleen to "The Ring Leader". It's true, the analogy can easily be seen. She spends the amount of time necessary doing the behind the scenes prep work, accomplishing what needs to be done to ensure all members of the "circus" are kept on task, ready to do the next thing. I have been in her house lots of times on a Wednesday or Thursday and she will have all the projects prepared and ready to go for her class NEXT Sunday. She's on top of things. Miss Arleen is many things-she's a friend and a shopping buddy, she's a mom, a "Nana" and a wife. But on Sunday mornings-in the 4 and 5 year old small group, she's The Ring Leader. She no doubt has tamed a few lions and juggled her share of falling objects-but she leads. She directs that "circus" in a way that makes the members want to come back week after week-and I, I am thankful and amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment