Friday, March 18, 2011

Day 18 "Different Bird" For Hayden


"Our Hayden will be 13 on March 18. My prayer for him is that he become a Godly young man and follow God's lead. Can ya paint that?"
The message and date request is from my friend Michelle. I had a really hard time with this one- I was like "I don't want to paint a cross" but everytime I started sketching this one, I'd be right back sketching intersecting lines....and before you know it....another cross. That's not to say I have anything against painting crosses. I certainly don't have anything against "THE" cross. I'll be honest. I just didn't want to paint something that looks like a week  attempt to copy something from Lemstone or Lifeway's gift sections.  Again, disclaimer, I have nothing against either establishment-but that's just not my thing...I started this project as a discipline to paint only my original work. So...I struggled. I also did not want something "cliche" or "Sunday Schoolish" you know "Follow the Lord, He's the only way, Straight and narrow, He guides your steps etc. etc." And one final disclaimer- I do believe these things to be true, I just didn't know about painting them." 
The request is a pure as any mother's heart for her son. Go ahead and read it again. She PRAYS that her son becomes a GODLY man and follows God's lead. 
.....and then....INSPIRATION! (cue the "AHHHHHHHHH" angelic sound) *sorry sticking with the religious theme today-I'll try to refocus.  Okay so I was inspired to say/paint THIS.
Doing right often times sets a person aside or out front or apart from even the closest of friends.  As followers of Christ we are called to be different. Not like the others. That's just the way it is.  Happy Birthday Hayden.  Please enjoy this clip!  Thanks Michelle for being a part of my project!


No comments:

Post a Comment